Director: Professor Harry Torrance
The Education and Social Research Institute is one of the leading UK centres for applied educational research and evaluation, and a thriving research community. 67% of our research was rated as 'internationally excellent' or 'world leading' in REF 2014, with 100% of our research Impact being rated 'internationally excellent' or 'world leading'. We have an outstanding portfolio of research grants and publications, regularly organise national and international seminars and workshops and other services to research, and offer several studentship awards each year. The Institute is committed to research-enriched professional practice, and aims to offer the best and most innovative approaches to research-based professionalism in the UK, across a growing range of professional areas.
A summary of our aims
- to lead debate, nationally and internationally, on the nature and future of education and educational research;
- to contribute to the development of theory and methodology in applied social research;
- to promote research-based understandings of policy and practice in education and the professions;
- to support practitioners and professionals in researching their own practice and contexts of work;
- to work closely with the users of social research at all stages of the research process;
- to provide first-class research training and support for new and developing researchers.
News & Events
- ESRI Blog
- Education leads ESRC social science training at MMU
- Structural Reform Research Interest Group (RIG) Meeting
- Children's Identity and Citizenship European Association award Best Publication 2015 to Education
- Harry Torrance’s paper selected as the ‘Editors’ Pick’
- Summer Institute of the Antipodes
- Is technology beneficial to children’s early learning?
- Manchester Met presentations at the House of Lords
- Mathematics Education and Contemporary Theory 3
- Seminar at House of Lords: Can England Staff its Schools?
- Three new Professors in Education
- MMU hosts important SIG meeting
- Funded Studentships at ESRI
- Research Seminar Programme
- Summer Institute in Qualitative Research
- Museum of Qualitative Data
- The Practice of Educational and Social Research - an IRQR Special issue on work at ESRI