Director: Professor Harry Torrance
The Education and Social Research Institute is one of the leading UK centres for applied educational research and evaluation, and a thriving research community. 67% of our research was rated as 'world leading' or 'internationally excellent' in REF 2014, with 100% of our research Impact being rated 'world leading' or 'internationally excellent'. We have an outstanding portfolio of research grants and publications, regularly organise national and international seminars and workshops and other services to research, and offer several studentship awards each year. We are members of the ESRC-funded White Rose Doctoral Traiuning Partnership including the universities of Sheffield, Leeds, York, Sheffield Hallam, Bradford and Hull. We have particular research strengths in Early Years, Children & Childhood; Youth and Community Studies; Maths and Science Education including ICT; Teacher Education, Leadership and Curriculum; and the Theory and Methodology of Educational and Social Research. The Institute is committed to producing the highest quality, theoretically-informed empirical research, coupled with advancing theory and methodology in social research.
Our aims are:
- to lead debate, nationally and internationally, on the nature and future of education and educational research;
- to contribute to the development of theory and methodology in applied social research;
- to promote research-based understandings of policy and practice in education and the professions;
- to support practitioners and professionals in researching their own practice and contexts of work;
- to work closely with the users of social research at all stages of the research process;
- to provide first-class research training and support for new and developing researchers.
Recent doctoral graduates include university lecturers, head teachers,
teachers, local authority advisers, youth workers, charity workers, health
educators, nurse educators, and A&E consultants.
News & Events
- ESRI Blog
- Summer Institute in Qualitative Research 2017
- Research Seminar Programme
- Maggie MacLure is keynote at inaugural meeting of the European Congress of Qualitative Inquiry
- Now recruiting Professors of Education: Head of the Education and Social Research Institute & Head of International
- New PhD studentships in Education 2017/18
- Education leads ESRC social science training at MMU
- Now recruiting Professors of Education: Head of Education and Social Research Institute / Head of International
- Opening up about youth loneliness
- Dr. Sam Sellar is Director of the Laboratory of International Assessment Studies
- Structural Reform Research Interest Group (RIG) Meeting
- Children's Identity and Citizenship European Association award Best Publication 2015 to Education
- Harry Torrance’s paper selected as the ‘Editors’ Pick’
- Mathematics Education and Contemporary Theory 3
- Seminar at House of Lords: Can England Staff its Schools?
- Three new Professors in Education
- MMU hosts important SIG meeting
- Funded Studentships at ESRI
- Museum of Qualitative Data
- The Practice of Educational and Social Research - an IRQR Special issue on work at ESRI